Steps associated with MEP Coordination Systems
MEP coordination is considered as one of the most vital process in construction that should be given special attention. The system makes sure that the structural framework and architectural design are not conflicted with its MEP-FP systems. Based on the level of details (LOD) and need of the client, the MEP coordination method differs in every organization. MEP Coordination Systems contains the following stages :-
- Assessment of Consultant Design Drawings and Structural/Architectural Plans:
- Preliminary, the MEP coordination service facilitates the organization to obtain single line drawings from the MEP-contractors or consultants. Afterward, they study the structural and architectural plans thoroughly. Besides, they study the MEP specifications except for the assessment of drawings, layouts with reliability. Finally, MEP coordination services provider designs a brief plan for coordination.
- 3D Prototype Formation:
- To fulfill the need in initial phase, the MEP coordinator generates an accurate 3D model by applying AutoCAD or Revit. This 3D model demonstrates total MEP services with adherence to the architectural and structural conditions of the building. Besides, this entire model acts as the base for various other important development-related plans, elevations or sections. MEP coordinator employs the 3D model for client inputs as well as generating complete walkthroughs.
- Conflict detection and Resolution:
- In this phase, the 3D model set up earlier is tested for clashes among the MEP systems and the design elements. For this, they use Navisworks, a particular clash-detection software application. It detects all types of clashes like workflow clashes, geometry-related hard clashes, and clearance clashes. Besides, the MEP coordinator detects possible alternatives and deliver them to the clients.
- Formation of Coordinated Sections and Drawings:
- Once a 3D model is tested for vertical and horizontal coordination, then the drawing sets are arranged to demonstrate how MEP-FP systems function in coordination as well as for more transparency, annotation and tagging process. The organizations who are liable to control MEP coordination can get elevation, section, and isometric views from the 3D model produced earlier. Besides, these can be applied for client explanations.
- Formation of Detailed Service Drawings:
- In this stage, all the structural service-by-service drawings are generated and the details are included with reference to their dimensions like heights, and distances from gridlines. Site installation teams utilize these drawings and develop the base for fabrication drawings.
- Formation of Spool, Fabrication Drawings, and Hangar Drawings:
- On basis of the scope of work, particular services drawings are utilized to generate fabrication drawings through some software or detailing. These drawings illustrate fabrication features for ductwork, and hence the CNC machines can directly identify them for rendering purposes.
- If required, the MEP coordination unit also indicates the details of the model to create spooling data for production crews. Except for this, the firm can even plan out and then demonstrate the hangars for every design. As soon as the plan is made, the hangar specifications are provided on a list for the production units.
- In MEP coordination systems, some steps may be omitted with regards to the scope of the project. Although each point is important for completing any project successfully devoid of any setbacks, additional cost, and unanticipated design amendments.
- As-Fitted Modifications:
- This final step is associated with making modifications to the design model and the pictures because of some site changes from the construction designs. If the coordination work is perfect, and the installation is done according to the construction drawing directions and plans, the amendments to the as-fitted (also defined as as-installed and as-built) designs are least amount.