Benefits of BIM for Surveyors throughout retrofitting of a construction works
The prime responsibility of a surveyor is to deal with several measurements, values, costs, schedules dimensions and demarcations which are gathered from trustworthy and precise sources of data. BIM facilitates the surveyors to avail and evaluate all this data in form of geometries, numerals, and essential foot notes [with annotations to building object and modeled elements] for clear-cut information.
As-built BIM models allow in visualizing the data, finally authorizing surveyors to obtain detail information as well as insights. This insight allows survey professionals to perform proper analysis with the purpose of giving suggestions to architects and contractors for the sake of occupants and all the stakeholders who are associated with the building design and development projects.
When it is required to arrange the BIM models in as-built conditions of the building, the construction works or the infrastructure are analyzed prior to scanning and redesigning the project.
By maintaining exact level of detailing of designs in BIM, the project is expanded and a development stage is reflected for construction management related decisions. Issues associated with constructability, probable clashes, challenges in building up a wall or taking off one, time and cost, etc. are examined, risks are computed and mistakes are amended in the initial phase by a team collaboration among the engineers and the surveyors.
Opportunities for Surveyors:
• BIM for surveyors enhances collaboration and co-ordinations between multi-disciplinary teams
• BIM facilitates the surveyors to work out embodied CO2 in buildings and recommend remedies
• BIM allows the surveyor to quickly finish the work cost-effectively.
• Produce accessible synchronized information concerning project performance & constant maintenance of the property
• Surveyors can make best use of their work profile with BIM
• Ability to make proper decision for spatial planning, material orders, and QTOs – in case of retrofitting
With BIM, the surveyors get the ability to accomplish their jobs efficiently & with superior collaborative input. BIM for surveyors is rightly crucial whether it is a project of new construction works or retrofitting a really elderly one.