Some useful suggestions from Autodesk for successful transition to BIM
In recent times several mandates on BIM have been issued all through the globe which recommend how to apply BIM on public projects. Some leading design and construction firms have already adopted BIM and some are planning to adopt it.
Autodesk comes up with some useful suggestions for speeding up the progression for BIM adoption as well as minimizing commotions.
- Be introduced to BIM - Assign some people at the firm to gain more knowledge on how BIM will have an effect on the way the project team performs. BIM facilitates the project team members to revolve various design detail at the initial stage.
- Converse the alteration to your people - Sophisticated firm leaders should be a pioneer in ensuring the people that the firm is positively switching to BIM. Make sure to commune the projected advantages of BIM.
- Explain software and hardware requirements – BIM is a collaborative process that is based on intelligent 3D models. But the software is required to generate those models. Give attention to search obtainable software, and check whether the existing hardware contains adequate processing power.
- Build up a change management plan - This plan should be focused at an advance level explaining how the project team foresees BIM changing conventional workflows by undergoing training and supporting people to solve their questions and issues.
- Begin a pilot program, and offer guidance to the pilot team - While executing several small projects every year, one should think about carrying out one pilot and acquiring lessons prior to accomplishing various other pilot projects. A firm having a small number of substantial multiyear projects might choose to get lessons learned from a preliminary pilot in reality and at the same time kick off all new projects in BIM.
- Document preferred progressions – With the advancement of the pilot project (or projects) the project team should document BIM progressions. Perform with other parties in the supply chain to recognize the necessary outputs and how the project team calls for BIM to support them.
- Promote BIM champions – There are some people around you who become skilled at BIM as part of their education. Employ these BIM champions on every pilot project, and help them with the supplementary training and support required to facilitate teammates implementing BIM.
- Educate and transition other teams – While initiating a BIM project, the proper training should be given. But the mistake generally occurred as the total firm gets trained at once and afterward switch to BIM happens project by project more than the course of a year or two. The project stakeholders associated with later projects will face the problem with forgetting much of what they learned in training.
- Incorporate with other models – The maximum benefits can be reaped from BIM while allocating models with other firms who are also performing with BIM. It is observed that at the time of incorporating models into a solitary, shared model speeds up the coordination progression as well as unveils the door to a new level of collaboration. It will be useful if the project team accept this by recognizing how to aptly allocate model data inside a Common Data Environment as explained in standards like PAS 1192:2 and BS 1192:2007.
Develop and invent with BIM – While applying BIM, it facilitates new visualisation, coordination, and analysis features. Find ways to convert these new aspects into value—and new service offerings—for clients.